The Law Office of Samuel E. Surface

A Stillwater Law Firm
Serving Clients Throughout
The Twin Cities Metro Area


Call Today

Helping You Defend Your Rights In Cases Involving Protective Orders And More

If you are convicted of assault, the consequences could stay with you forever. That is why it is important to find a lawyer with experience defending clients against these types of charges. At the Law Office Of Samuel E. Surface, our attorney has nearly 20 years of experience defending clients in the Stillwater area and throughout Minnesota.

These cases can be complex and nuanced, and it is important to be able to tell your side of the story. That is why you need an experienced lawyer who will take the time to understand the facts and build you a defense that will protect your best interests. We will work quickly to protect your rights.

Understanding Different Types Of Protection Orders

There are three types of common orders issued in Minnesota. They include:

Orders for protection: These are issued by a judge when an alleged victim is found to have a reasonable fear of harm from another party.

Harassment restraining orders: These are issued when someone alleges that another party has harassed him or her, including online or via text. The allegations for HROs can be petty and minimal. But from a law enforcement perspective, HROs and OFPs are treated the same. You can be arrested for violating the order.

Domestic abuse no contact orders: These orders come directly from a judge after someone has already been criminally charged for a domestic violence offense. Clients are commonly under both OFPs and DANCOs for the same offense. Things get really messy when two people are involved in a shared custody or co-parenting relationship. Criminal orders trump family law orders in these cases, which means you could be prevented from seeing your children.

All of these orders can lead to serious criminal penalties if violated, but just having the order in place can also cause problems, including loss of a job or eviction for up to two years (if you live with the accuser).

If you have become the subject of an order, you can file a request for a hearing to contest it, but it often needs to happen within about a week after being notified. It is critical to contact an attorney as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance at successfully challenging the order.

Call Us Today To Begin Your Defense

If you need help with protective orders defense, a restraining order violation or any other criminal matter, call us today at 601-300-7359 for a free initial consultation. You can also send us an email.